Trustee Election Information for Prospective Candidates
Four seats on the seven-member Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District Board of Trustees will be open for the Tuesday, April 6, 2021 consolidated election. All of the seats will be for a full four-year term beginning in May 2021 and expiring in April 2025.
To be eligible, a candidate must be a registered voter; have resided in the Library District for at least one year of the filing of a nomination petition; not be delinquent in paying real estate taxes to the Library District or delinquent as to other indebtedness to the Library District; not have a conviction for any infamous crime, bribery, perjury, or other felony.
Candidate nomination petitions must have at least 50 signatures from registered voters who reside within the Library District. Nomination petitions may not be circulated for signature prior to Tuesday, September 22, 2020. Election packets containing petition forms and instructions are available for curbside pickup at the Winnetka Library by appointment. To make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed nomination petitions signed by voters and circulators may be filed on weekdays from Monday, December 14, 2020, through Monday, December 21, 2020. File completed nomination petitions, a Statement of Candidacy, a receipt from the County Clerk indicating that a Statement of Economic Interests has been filed with the County Clerk, and a Loyalty Oath (optional).
All filings must be submitted by appointment at the Winnetka Branch of the Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District located at 768 Oak Street, Winnetka, IL 60093. To make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
September 22, 2020: First day to circulate nominating petitions
December 14 – 21, 2020: Filing Period. Please see “Filing Dates and Times,” below
January 28, 2021: Last day for certification of candidates (certified to the County Clerk) – certification is made by the Secretary of the Library Board serving as the “Local Election Official”
April 6, 2021: Consolidated Election
Print nominating papers using the PDFs below, or forms and instructions are available for curbside pickup at the Winnetka Library by appointment. To make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to have your papers notarized, number your petition pages, and securely fasten everything together.
- Nonpartisan Petitions (SBE Form P-4) Candidate must collect 50 qualified signatures.
- Statement of Candidacy (Nonpartisan) (SBE Form P-1A) The Statement of Candidacy form must include, among other requirements, the candidate’s name, the candidate’s legal address and the office sought. The form of the candidate’s name may include his or her given name, initials, or nickname.
- Statement of Economic Interests (COMPLETE AN SEI) Receipt from filing of Statement of Economic Interests Required by the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act, this form must be filed with the County Clerk and a receipt issued. The receipt must be filed with the petition papers and is the only form that may be added to your petition papers once they have been filed. It must be filed with the Library District office or Municipal Clerk’s office by close of business on December 21, 2020. A candidate who filed a Statement of Economic Interests for the same unit of government within the calendar year does not need to re-file.
- Loyalty Oath (optional) (SBE Form P-1C)
Filing Dates and Times
Nominating papers may be filed by mail or in person, either by the candidate or a representative of the candidate. All candidates or representative of the candidate are required to wear face masks. Nomination papers may not be amended once filed. The filing period is December 14–21, 2020.
All filings must be submitted by appointment at the Winnetka Branch of the Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District located at 768 Oak Street, Winnetka, IL 60093.
To make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
First Day to File: December 14, 2020
Last Day to File: December 21, 2020
Objection Filing First Day: December 22, 2020
Objection Filing Last Day: December 30, 2020
*If there are simultaneous filings at 9:00 AM on Monday, December 14, 2020, or from 4:00–5:00 PM on Monday, December 21, 2020, a lottery will be held in the Winnetka Library vestibule on Tuesday, December 22, at 10:00 AM. All candidates or candidate representatives are required to wear face masks.
Candidates may file by mail. However, all petitions must be received during the filing period. Petitions received in the mail prior to 10 AM on the first day of the filing period or after 5 PM on the last day of the filing period will be returned to the sender. Petitions received in the first mailing of the day on the first filing day, as well as petitions received in the last mailing of the last filing day, will both be eligible for the lottery.
To file by mail, send completed packets to: Winnetka Library, 768 Oak Street, Winnetka, IL 60093.
2021 Candidate’s Guide
Provides information for candidates seeking office at the local level in 2021. Includes filing basics and deadlines, and specific requirements for individual offices. Also includes info about nomination procedures and the objection process, as well as a section that provides answers to some of the more frequently asked questions about nominating petitions and procedures.
Calling ahead to confirm services and hours is recommended. Some providers may require an appointment or charge a fee.
- Your personal banking institution may offer notary services. Contact them directly to confirm.
- Mobile Notary – If you are in need of a notary who can come to you, please consult Illinois Notary Search.
- Online – Notarize is a remote, electronic notary service valid in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Notarize PDFs through their website, or paper copies through the app. The app is free; there is a fee for each notarization.
A candidate’s nomination papers are subject to challenge by qualified objectors. Appointments for reviewing nomination papers and/or filing objections can be made by contacting the Library Director Monica Dombrowski (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Business Office (email@example.com) by email, or by phone at (847) 446-7220. The last day to file an objection is December 30, 2020.