Library District History & Mission
In 1884, the Winnetka Public Library was established to serve the intellectual, cultural, and recreational needs of the community. The library converted from a village department to a separate governmental unit in 1974 in order to include Northfield in its tax supported service area. While Kenilworth is not part of the Library District, its residents have been served through a contractual agreement since 1984.
The Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District is a community resource for the advancement of knowledge, and a provider of innovative and informative cultural enrichment for all ages.
We aspire to be a recognized leader and collaborative partner in our communities, and an innovator in library best practices.