Head of Youth Services
Forward Thinking, Service Innovator, Open Communicator, Collaborator
The Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District is seeking an experienced manager-librarian with the vision, leadership, and collaboration skills to lead our Youth Services department into the future. This position covers the full range of collections and services for children and families in our community.
The successful candidate will be a highly collaborative team player, able to integrate new technologies, evaluate current practices and services, enjoy a healthy laugh, and promote and maintain community relationships. As part of the management team, the Head of Youth Services must be an approachable individual with the ability to exercise tact, independent judgment, and diplomacy.
- Hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating the Youth Services staff
- Preparing the department budget and monitoring expenditures
- Working with the Youth Collection Development Specialist to maintain the Youth Services collections across the District
- Developing and implementing programs that supplement and enhance the services of the District
- Monitoring innovative trends and developments in public library services and technologies and recommending them for implementation
- Representing the Library in pertinent professional, educational, and community activities
- Other duties as assigned
An MLS from an ALA-accredited library school, a minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience, and budgetary and supervisory experience required. A combination of education and experience will be considered. A record of outstanding service to patrons in both the physical and digital environments. Must have reliable transportation in order to travel to community events and between Library branches.
Starting salary: $60,000, commensurate with experience
Hours: Full time, evening and weekend work may be required.
Generous benefit package including several options for health, dental, and vision insurance. Other benefits include flexible spending account, life insurance, paid time off and IMRF.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to:
Rebecca Wolf, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: June 3, 2019
Youth Services Associate
The Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District seeks a dynamic, friendly, and innovative part-time Associate for our Youth Services Department. This is a service-oriented position that is primarily responsible for reference and readers’ advisory services for patrons aged 0-18 at the Winnetka Library. This person will also have the opportunity to serve the families of our District by participating in events throughout the community and working in our Studio, a space dedicated to creating and inspiring innovators and art enthusiasts.
This is an opportunity to become part of a service-oriented, collaborative team at a busy Library District on the North Shore.
Specific Skills Include:
- Strong interpersonal, public relations, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong knowledge and comfort using new technologies, including the ability to demonstrate new technologies and instruct patrons in their use
- Knowledge of reference techniques and automated information retrieval systems
- Current knowledge of children’s and teen literature and media
- Ability to work effectively in a team and with a variety of people
- Ability to work effectively in a variety of environments and serve patrons across the full spectrum of ages, needs, and technological skill levels
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
A high school diploma or GED equivalent is required.
Ability to use general office equipment, including computer, copiers, scanners, printers, and phones
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., bend and stretch or use a step-stool to routinely retrieve materials on very high or low shelves. Able to stand and/or walk through the Department or the Library for long periods of time. Able to maneuver book carts up to 80 lbs.
One year of experience working in a fast-paced customer service environment with children is preferred.
Typical working conditions of library setting or similar working environment.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with this position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of Winnetka-Northfield Public Library. Ability to successfully pass a background check.
Salary: 15.24 per hour
Hours: Part Time 15-18 hr/wk position, including evening and weekend hours
Position open until filled.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources email@example.com with Youth Services Associate in the subject line.
Part Time Library Page
We are seeking an individual who is organized, detail-oriented, and likes helping people. This position is a part-time opportunity with an hour average between 15-18 hours. These hours are a mix of days, nights, weekends and holidays.
The applicant must:
- Be highly skilled at detail work
- Have reliable transportation between district branches
- Ability to successfully pass a background check
- Able to sit or stand for long periods
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs., bend and stretch or use a step-stool to routinely retrieve materials on very high or low shelves.
- Able to maneuver book carts up to 80 lbs.
- Pleasant and helpful demeanor a must.
Salary: $9.00 per hour
Hours: Part Time, 15 to 18 hours per week, evenings and weekends
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Head of Circulation Services, Katie Cangelosi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with Part Time Library Page in the subject line.