How Does It Work?
- REQUEST Place holds for materials available at the Winnetka Library only. Ways you can place holds:
- WAIT When your holds have been filled, a library staffer will call you to let you know, and will schedule a pickup window for you.
- PICKUP Come to the Winnetka Library during your scheduled pickup time. To keep us all safe, we will meet you outside and place materials in your popped trunk or on a table for walkup service.
- ENJOY Please enjoy your materials and please hang onto them until we announce that we are ready to accept returns. We are unable to accept returns at this time.
Monday – Sunday*
1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
*unavailable on holidays
Thanks to our community for your support during this difficult time. The safety of our staff and community is our highest priority. We appreciate your patience as we work to reopen safely.
Curbside Pickup Details
- Patrons are limited to 5 adult and 15 youth items per Curbside Pickup order each day.
- Only one library card may be processed per order.
- Curbside Pickup holds will be held for four days.
- Only Winnetka items are available. The RAILS inter-library loan system is currently suspended.
- Only WNPLD cardholders may request a Curbside Pickup order.
- The library will ONLY service patrons in the designated 10-minute Curbside Pickup parking spots. If the spots are full, please circle the block until one is available.
- Patrons are not able to place holds, ask questions, etc. from their parking spot. Curbside pickup is only for patrons who have holds and have received a call notifying them that they can pick up their items during a scheduled time.
- Staff may refuse to deliver orders if patrons are not following social distancing guidelines.
- Staff will not accept returns from patrons or cars during a Curbside Pickup transaction.
Health & Safety
- Staff report to work only if they (and family members) are healthy.
- Limited staff members are allowed in the building at the same time.
- Social distancing guidelines are closely followed.
- Staff and patrons have no contact during Curbside Pickup.
- All library staff working curbside service will be given disposable gloves, disposable masks, and other PPE as needed. Per recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control.
- Workspaces are regularly cleaned with sanitizer.
Can I walk/bike to the Winnetka Library for my Curbside Pickup?
Yes, no problem! Just follow the same procedures (call the number on the sign to let us know you’ve arrived) and instead of waiting in a parking spot wait by the walkup table at the bottom of the ramp.
Just remember to step aside and maintain a distance of six feet between yourself and others while you wait. A staff member will bring out your bagged items and place them on the table.
Why isn’t Curbside Pickup available at Northfield?
Unfortunately, the size of the Northfield Branch does not allow our staff to work while safely following social distancing guidelines. We look forward to offering services at the Northfield Branch again as social distancing guidelines ease, and as we navigate various stages of reopening.
Can I request items from the Northfield Branch?
At this time we will have a reduced amount of staff at the Winnetka Library facility only, due to the amount of space required for adequate social distancing. We hope to be able to pull materials from the Northfield Branch soon, but for now we are only able to safely handle items from the Winnetka Library Building.
Why can’t I return materials back yet?
Accepting returns is the next phase of our reopening. Unlike restaurants or retail stores who offer consumables, the Library’s materials circulate out to patrons’ homes, back to the library, and out again.
Because of that, all materials upon their return will need to handled by staff wearing the appropriate safety equipment and then quarantined for a period of up to 7 days before that material can be checked out to another individual. It is imperative that we have systems, equipment, and supplies in place that we can comfortably minimize the risks to the people handling those materials and for those receiving them.
While we work out the details, please keep your items at home. Stay tuned for the announcement when we are able to begin accepting returns! And, remember that there will be no fines for any materials you have checked out during the building closure.
Are you getting new books?
Yes! We are restarting our deliveries this week, and will be receiving new physical items for our collection that will be available for hold.
Am I accruing late fees for books I’m unable to return?
No! There will be no fines for any materials you have checked out during the building closure.
Can I use the wireless printing service for Curbside Pickup?
Wireless printing and requests for printed items are not available through Curbside Pickup at this time.