Books and Literature
- Authors & Literature Reference Books - A collection of reference titles on the subject of books and authors, such as Something About the Author.
- BooklistOnline - Book reviews from Booklist, a publication of the American Library Association.
- Books & Authors - Book lists, reviews, and suggestions.
- EbscoHost eBooks - (formerly NetLibrary) You can read the full text of many nonfiction books (both for children and adults) while connected to the Internet when using this service.
- Literature Resource Center - Provides background information for more than 90,000 authors and their books.
- Mango Languages - Mango is a self paced online language learning system that teaches real conversation skills for practical communication in 36 languages including ESL. Through fun and engaging interactive lessons, Mango makes learning a new language fast, easy and incredibly effective.
- MyMediaMall - Downloadable books, audiobooks and videos which you can use on your computer and media player (many iPod and Mac compatible).
- Novelist - Helps you find new books and authors based on the books and authors you already like.
- Novelist K-8 - Helps you find new children's books and authors based on the children's books and authors you already like.
- Something About the Author - Get information about children's authors and their books. This online version of Something About the Author covers volumes from 2005 onward.
- Tumblebooks - A collection of animated, talking picture books. Using Tumblebooks requires the Adobe Flash Player to be installed.
Business and Finance
- Business Insights : Global - Search for background information about companies as well as investment reports and business rankings (formerly Business & Company Resource Center).
- Business, Finance & Law Reference Books - A collection of reference titles on the subjects of business, finance and law. Some sample titles in this collection include Business Plans Handbook, the Encyclopedia of Management, the Encyclopedia of Small Business, and West's Encyclopedia of American Law.
- Capital Changes Reporter - Company merger and acquisition information as well as stock splits and capital histories.
- Career Transitions - A comprehensive resource for job searching and career exploration.
- Demographics Now - Provides access to summarized information and sophisticated maps based on data collected in the 2010 census.
- Illinois Legal Forms - Thousands of Official, State Specific, Federal, Business, Personal, Real Estate and General forms covering hundreds of legal subjects and issues.
- Kroll Bond Ratings - Formerly L.A.C.E. bond ratings. This service provides bond ratings for many financial institutions and organizations. This resource can only be used inside the Winnetka Library or the Northfield Branch.
- Mergent Online - Provides detailed business descriptions, corporate histories and financial statements for thousands of publically owned companies in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center - Research stocks or mutual funds. Also includes an option to analyze your personal portfolio.
- Reference USA - Reference USA is a directory of over 13 million U.S. businesses including sales, number of employees, and contact information. Also includes U.S. residential listings.
- Small Business Resource Center - Legal forms, business plans, and many articles on topics relevant to running a small business.
- Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage - Company and fund research information from Standard & Poor's.
- Value Line Research Center - Investment research information including online versions of the Value Line Investment surveys, the mutual fund survey, and more.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Ancestry Library Edition - Census records, birth, marriage, and death records, and many other sources that can be used for genealogical research. This resource can only be used inside the Winnetka Library or the Northfield Branch.
- HeritageQuest - Research genealogy and local history information.
- Proquest Obituaries - Search obituaries in major U.S. newspapers as far back as 1850.
Health and Science
- Access Science - Online encyclopedia of science and technology.
- Health & Wellness Resource Center - Search for up-to-date health information from medical magazines and journals.
- Health Reference Books - A collection of reference books on assorted health topics. Some sample titles in this collection include the Encyclopedia of Cancer, the Encyclopedia of Children's Health, and the Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders.
- Physician's Desk Reference - Search for information about prescription drugs.
- Science in Context - Provides information and articles about many science topics as well as biographies of scientists and descriptions of experiments.
- Science Online - Presents a broad range of scientific disciplines through extensive definitions, essays, diagrams, biographies, and experiments.
- Science Reference Books - A collection of reference books on scientific topics. Some sample titles in this collection include the Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders and Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia.
History and Biography
- American Decades - Covers 20th-century events and social history beginning in 1900 and ending in 1999.
- Ancient & Medieval History Online - Explores the pre-modern world with in-depth focus on Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, Africa, Europe, the Americas, and Asia.
- Biography in Context - Search for biographies of actors, musicians, scientists, and others.
- History & Biography Reference Books - A collection of resources useful for historical and biographical research.
- Reconstruction Era Reference Library - Presents a comprehensive overview of the era stretching from the end of the Civil War in April 1865 to the inauguration of President Hayes in 1877.
- U.S. History in Context - Research history from newspapers, magazines, and journals as well as from radio and television programs.
- U.S. Immigration and Migration Reference Library - Chronicles and interprets the phenomenal waves of immigration to the United States from the earliest times up to the present day.
- CultureGrams - Kid-friendly reports on 190 countries and territories as well as all of the U.S. States and Canadian provinces.
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia - A comprehensive encyclopedia on animal life, including recent developments in animal research.
- Homework Reference Books - A collection of reference books useful for a variety of general homework topics. Some sample titles in this collection include Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia, Shaping of America: 1783-1815 Reference Library, and Something About the Author.
- Kids InfoBits - Kids can search for information about current events, science, government, sports and more. Created for kids in kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Testing and Education Reference Center - College and career planning resources including over 300 practice tests and courses, dozens of ebooks containing valuable study material and practice tests, information on over 4,000 accredited schools, scholarship search featuring $8 billion in available scholarships, a resume builder, and career modules covering subjects from career change to salary negotiations.
- World Geography and Culture Online - Combines detailed, printable, full-color maps of countries, provinces, and states with up-to-date statistical and local information.
Newspapers and Magazines
- Academic OneFile - Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources.
- Chicago Consumers' Checkbook - Ratings of Chicago area stores and service providers. This resource can only be used inside the Winnetka Library or the Northfield Branch.
- Chicago Tribune - Search for articles in the Chicago Tribune from 1985-present.
- Chicago Tribune - Historical - The full text of the Chicago Tribune from 1849 to 1986.
- Consumer Reports - The Consumer Reports website available through library subscription. Includes Consumer Reports popular automobile and appliance ratings.
- Electric Library - Search for information from magazines, newspapers, TV and radio shows.
- FirstSearch - Search for information by topic (ex: education, medicine, or current events) or by choosing one of 15 databases (ex: MEDLINE, ArticleFirst, or WorldCat).
- InfoTrac OneFile - Search for newspaper and magazine articles on a variety of subjects, including current events, economics, sports and more.
- LexisNexis Library Express - Over 6,000 full-text news, business, and legal sources including hundreds of domestic and international newspapers, business news and trade publications, legal research (in the Library only), and company information and SEC filings.
- New York Times - Search for articles in the New York Times from 1986-present.
- New York Times - Historical - Search for articles in the New York Times - Historical from 1851 to the beginning of this decade.
- Wall Street Journal - Search for articles in the Wall Street Journal from 1985-present.
- Zinio - Download magazines to read on your iPad, iPhone, Android device or computer. Check our Getting Started with Zinio Guide (1.2 MB PDF) for details.