All Databases & Resources A to Z
- Ancestry Library Edition -Search through a wide variety of genealogical sources, including census, birth, and marriage records. This resource can only be used inside the Winnetka Library or the Northfield Branch.
- Biography in Context – Search for biographies of scientists, politicians, historical figures, and more.
- Britannica for Kids – Online version of Encyclopedia Britannica, with special features for kids.
- Britannica Public Library Edition – Online version of Encyclopedia Britannica.
- Business Insights : Global – Find company profiles, market research, statistical reports, case studies, and other types of business research.
- Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook – Ratings of Chicago area stores and service providers.
- Chicago Tribune – Find articles from the Chicago Tribune, from 1985 to the present.
- Chicago Tribune – Historical – Find articles from the Chicago Tribune, from 1849 to 1990.
- Cloud Library – Downloadable books that you can read on your iPad, Android tablet, Nook, or computer.
- Consumer Reports – The complete online Consumer Reports. Includes automobile and appliance ratings.
- Demographics Now – Provides easy access to census information, including interactive maps and customized reports.
- Encyclopedia Britannica – The online version of Encyclopedia Britannica.
- Encyclopedia Britannica for Kids – The online version of Encyclopedia Britannica, with special features for kids.
- FirstSearch – Search for books and articles that are unavailable in our local library system. If you find something of interest, you may request it here.
- Gale General OneFile – Search for newspaper and magazine articles on a variety of subjects, including current events, economics, sports and more.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library – A collection of encyclopedias and reference books on a variety of topics.
- Grzimek’s Animal Life Encyclopedia – An encyclopedia on animals and biology
- Health & Wellness Resource Center – Search for up-to-date health information from medical magazines and journals.
- HeritageQuest – Research genealogy and local history information.
- Illinois Legal Forms – Thousands of State and Federal forms, on topics such as wills and estates, bankruptcy, and real estate.
- Kids InfoBits – Information about current events, science, government, sports, and more. Created for kids in kindergarten through 5th grade.
- LexisNexis Library Express – News, business, and legal sources, including international newspapers, trade publications, and company information. Legal research is only available in the Winnetka and Northfield libraries.
- Literature Resource Center – Summaries and analysis of over 90,000 books and authors, with a focus on the classics.
- Lynda.com – Video tutorial courses on creative and professional skills. Lynda accounts now use your Library card number as username and your Library catalog password to authenticate, rather than the dedicated Lynda passwords used previously. You may need to relogin after this change.
- Mango Languages – Learn a new language the fun way with this interactive tool. Over 50 languages available. Put the app on your phone!
- Morningstar Investment Research Center – Contains company ratings and analysis, as well as stock and fund screeners.
- MyMediaMall – Downloadable books, audiobooks and videos which you can use on your computer and media player (many iPod and Mac compatible).
- NewYorkTimes.com – Paywall-free access to the New York Times online, with no article limit.
- New York Times – Recent Archive – Find articles from the New York Times, from 1980 to the present.
- New York Times – Historical Archive – Find articles from the New York Times, from 1851 to 2009.
- Novelist – Tell Novelist your favorite authors, and it will tell you your next favorite book.
- Novelist K-8 – Find children’s books based on their favorite authors and topics.
- Oxford English Dictionary – The online version of the authoritative dictionary for word history, meaning, and pronunciation.
- RB Digital Magazines – Download magazines to read on your iPad, iPhone, Android device or computer. Check our Getting Started with RB Digital Magazines Guide (PDF) for details.
- Reference USA – A business and residential directory. Search by geography, company size, NAICS, and more.
- Rosetta Stone – Use Rosetta Stone to learn languages with a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Science in Context – Information about scientific topics and experiments, as well as biographies of scientists.
- Shaping of America, 1783-1815 Reference Library – Chronicles and illustrates the important period when America forged its place at home and on the international stage.
- Small Business Resource Center – Business plans, legal forms, and trade journals relevant to running a small business.
- TumbleBooks – A collection of animated, talking picture books.
- U.S. History in Context – History research with an emphasis on primary sources, such as speeches, magazine articles, and historical documents.
- Value Line Research Center – Investment research information including online versions of the Value Line Investment surveys, the mutual fund survey, and more.
- Wall Street Journal – Find articles from the Wall Street Journal, from 1984 to the present.
- The Winnetka Talk – Find articles from the Winnetka Talk, from 1995 to the present.
- Worldcat – Search for books and articles that are unavailable in our local library system. If you find something of interest, you may request it here.