Adult Services Librarian – Full Time
The Winnetka-Northfield Public Library District seeks a dynamic and innovative full-time Librarian for our Adult Services Department. This is a service-oriented position that is primarily responsible for programming, instruction, reference and reader’s advisory services, and collection development for adults at both the Winnetka main library and its branch library in Northfield, IL.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, which will require working a flexible schedule including: mornings, afternoons, and some evenings in the Adult Services Department. This position reports to the Head of Adult Services. This is an opportunity to become part of a service-oriented, collaborative team at a busy library on the north shore.
- Core Job Functions:
- Provides proactive adult reference and readers’ advisory service while handling multiple simultaneous requests for assistance
- Demonstrates and explains the online catalog, the Internet, databases, and electronic products used in the Department
- Selects materials for adults with attention to collection development and maintenance.
- Participates in adult programs that supplement the services of the Library
- Maintains an awareness of the trends and developments in public library service, and technology by reviewing current literature, attending workshops and conferences, participating in professional organizations and similar activities.
- Represents the Library in pertinent professional, educational and community activities.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Requires expertise typically acquired through completion of MLS program from an ALA accredited library school and 2 years previous work experience in a library or equivalent setting. Access to vehicle with a valid driver’s license required to travel between branches.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a comparable business organization or library is necessary, preferably in reference and/or adult services department.
Specific Skills Include:
- Knowledge of reference techniques and automated information retrieval systems.
- Strong interpersonal, public relations, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of people
- Ability and willingness to teach both one-on-one and in group settings
- Strong knowledge and comfort using new technologies, including the ability to demonstrate/instruct technologies to patrons.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Work, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), and similar applications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use general office equipment, including computer, copiers, scanners, printers, and phones
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and carry items up to twenty pounds.
- Clean driving record and valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
Minimum salary: $20.95
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Shauna Porteus (email@example.com)
Head of Adult Services
Application deadline is December 20, 2013
No phone calls please.